Why OSGi Certification?
This is of benefit for developers and employers. For developers it provides you with a means to validate your knowledge and experience with OSGi technology and the specifications. For employers it provides you with the confidence in knowing that the OSGi skills you engage are qualified, experienced and meet an OSGi Alliance endorsed level of competency with the technology.
Who is it for?
The OSGi Developer Certification – Professional is open to everyone, you don’t have to be an OSGi Alliance member to participate. It is for individual IT professionals, developers, who are skilled in the use of OSGi technology. You should have gained some practical experience using OSGi and have a good understanding of the OSGi R5 specification topics as outlined in the Exam Topics below.
What do I need to do to obtain certification?
To obtain OSGi Developer Certification – Professional, each individual has to take and pass an exam that is set, operated and marked by the OSGi Alliance. Details of the exam format are available below.
|Certification Name||Date & Time||Location||Price|
OSGi Developer Certification – Professional
Mon 23 Oct, 2017. 1.30pm to 5.00pm
US $500 (1)
(1) Discounted student price US $200. Requires proof of student status.
The exam is 3.5 hours in duration and consists of three sections:
- Section 1 – written questions and answers, consisting of both multiple choice and open questions.
- Section 2 – a practical assignment with working deliverables developed and submitted for assessment.
- Section 3 – a practical troubleshooting assignment. Here OSGi bundles are provided and answers should be written on the exam paper.
The exam will be marked by an OSGi Expert from an OSGi Alliance member company that has been approved by the OSGi Alliance Board to review and mark the completed exam papers.
********** PLEASE NOTE **********
- No network access will be provided during the exam.
- Use of the internet, Instant Messaging or Cell Phones during the exam is strictly prohibited.
- An electronic copy of the OSGi R5 specifications will be provided.
Candidates must bring valid government issued photographic ID (passport, driving license or equivalent) to the exam to verify their identity. This will be validated by the exam moderator on the day of the exam. Failure to provide this could invalidate the exam entry.
Candidates taking the exam MUST provide their own laptop to be used during the examination. Don’t forget a charger!
- Run one of the following operating systems: Microsoft Windows (version 7 or higher), Apple OSX (10.8 or newer) or Linux (2013 or later).
- Have a working JDK 7 installed.
- Have a working USB port supporting read and write.
- Some of the exam materials will be provided on a USB memory stick.
- Some of the exam assignments will need to saved to and returned on the USB memory stick.
- The USB memory stick will be provided by the OSGi Alliance.
- Be able to build OSGi bundles.
- This can be done using any development environment familiar to the candidate.
What do I get in return?
Developers who pass the exam are provided with an electronic certificate, each with a unique number, to confirm their status and a ‘certification badge’ that can be used to confirm their status. The OSGi Alliance maintains a record of all candidates taking the exam, along with details of those that pass and the status of their certification (i.e. current or expired) so that the certification authenticity can be verified.
Benefits of obtaining the certification include:
- Proof of knowledge and skills
- Recognition in the industry
- Increased confidence from your peers, customers, etc in your OSGi skills
- Certification verification tool for employers
- Use of the certification logo on business cards and blogs
How long is the certification valid?
OSGi Developer Certification – Professional is valid for three years from the date of award. It is awarded on the date that the exam results are published.
How can I renew my certification?
The certification can be renewed by re-siting the OSGI Developer Certification – Professional exam or passing a higher level certification (once available).
What does it cost?
There is a fee of USD $500 per individual sitting the exam.
A discounted price of USD $200 is available to students, proof of student status is required to qualify for this. Please contact us by email to obtain your Student Discount Code.
How do I book a place on an exam?
You can find the current schedule of exams above.
To book your place please visit our Eventbrite page. We accept payment by credit card.
Terms and Conditions
Bookings for any OSGi Developer Certification Exam are subject to The OSGi Developer Certification Exam Terms and Conditions which can be found here.
The exam will test your knowledge and ability with the following OSGi R5 specification areas (chapter references below refer to the relevant specification chapters):
- Dependency models (Export/Import Packages vs Require-Bundle)
- Semantic Versioning
- Dynamic-ImportPackage (which should typically be avoided)
- How and when the package wiring happens
- Execution Environments
- Generic Capabilities & Requirements
- Thread Context ClassLoader
- Bundle Lifecycle
- Bundle Manifest
- What is the minimum content for a Manifest
- Bundle states (install/resolve/start/stop/uninstall)
- Bundle Location
- Bundle ID
- Consequences of refreshing bundles
- System Bundle
- What’s special about it
- Making bundles independent of the order in which they are started
- Bundle Manifest
- Principles of Services
- Service dynamics
- LDAP filters and service properties
- How class-space compatibility between service providers and consumers is achieved
- What techniques are available to deal with Service Dynamics (e.g. Declarative Services, ServiceTracker)
- Focus is on Declarative Services as a way to interact with the Service Layer
- Basic usage of the following Compendium Specifications:
- Log Service (chapter 101)
- HTTP Service (chapter 102)
- Configuration Admin Service (chapter 104)
- Also in the context of DS
- Declarative Services (chapter 112)